Chilli Con Carne is the most popular dinner menu to make in any day especially during winter season. Warm food to eat with either mashed potatoes or steamed rice. I have tried variety of Chilli Con Carne recipes online and made in from scratch as it is hard to find ready made seasoning packet here in Da Nang. So here I would like to share my tips and successful recipes.
As it is my husband favourite food and he said “really good” which means I finally succeed in making it from scratch with the almost right ingredients that are available to me. Making it from scratch not that difficult as it seems and there’s plenty of recipes available online and sometimes just need to find the right taste of your choices.
Normally when cooking Chilli Con Carne, it will taste a little spicy and the recipes below does not have any chilli on it but if you like you can add a little chilli of your choice.
- Leftovers can be store in the refrigerator for about 3 – 4 days in a tight container. Just heat it up in the microwave.
- Can add mixed frozen vegetables such as peas, carrots, potatoes, and beans.
- Right before servings, can add few pieces of chocolate for extra flavour.
- For the extra oils that float on the top, you can gently scoops it out or use bread (but not really working).
Chilli Con Carne Recipes from scratch
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 2 hour Total Time: 2h10minutes
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin oil
- 1 Brown Onion, chopped
- 1 Red Onion, chopped
- 3 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1 cup fresh Coriander, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons chicken stock (liquid or beef stock if you have)
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce or puree
- 2 cups red wine
- 2 cups water
- 600 gram mince beef
- 480 gram kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 480 gram diced tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Prepared and chopped brown onion, red onion, garlic, and coriander. Medium heat pan and add extra virgin oil (or any oil available). Stir in brown onion, red onion, and garlic till soft and slight brown.
- Turn heat to high and add in mince beef and cook well before adding fresh coriander. Once cooked through, add 2 tablespoons of tomato puree or sauce and cook for 2 minutes.
- Then add 2 cups of red wine and let it boiled for 2 minutes and turn down heat to medium and let it simmers for at least 20 – 30 minutes or till sauce has reduce/thicken. Keeps stirring every 10 minutes.
- On medium heat, add 2 cans or 480 grams of diced tomatoes, 3 tablespoons chicken/beef stocks and 2 cups of water. Mixed well and let it simmer for 1 hour 30 minutes or till sauce has reduce/thicken. Keeps stirring every 10 – 15 minutes.
- Finally, add 2 cans or 480 grams of kidney bean and 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce. Also can add salt or pepper to taste. On medium heat, cook chilli con carne sauce has thicken up.
- Ready to serve and eat it while it still warms, goes well with rice or mashed potatoes and any cheese on the side (optional).
Please leave me a comment below on your favourite Chilli Con Carne recipes. Happy cooking