When I think about United Kingdom desserts, English Scones will be the first as I imagine having my cuppa tea and a few scones topped with strawberry and jam. How delicious that sounds. Scones easy to bake and does not take long time to prepare as well. Nowadays, theres scones baked with raisins or even chocolate chips. They delicious too but nothing can compare with a proper traditional English Scones that is homemade.
Other scones recipes, added 3 tablespoon of sugar not included sugar in the jam and for every of my recipes I tends to add less sugar. The lesser (sugar) the healthier my food can be.
- White sugar can be replace with powdered sugar but reduced the amount.
- Milk does not need to be warm, can added cold.
- Store in a tight containers and keep in the fridge for at least 3 days. Just heat it up before serving.
- Coat cutter with flour to prevent sticking.
English Scones Recipes
Prep Time: 8 Minutes Bake Time: 15 Minutes Total Time: 23 Minutes Servings: 11 (2 inch round cutter)
- 175 grams all purpose flour
- 50 grams unsalted butter, cold
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 + 1/2 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon milk (2% fat, low fat milk)
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon milk for brushing
- Preheat oven to 220 c.
- Small bowl, mix milk with white vinegar and let it curdles for 3 minutes.
- In a bowl, add flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and powdered sugar. Stir to mix altogether.
- Add cold butter to flour mixture and mixed with a fork or clean hand. Mixed till it like a crumble mixtures. Finally add the milk and combine it slightly.
- Transfer the dough to floured surface and soft knead till smooth about 2 minutes. Do not over knead.
- Roll the dough to 1-2 inch thick and use 2 inch round cutter and cut into round scones. Transfer to floured baking tray. This recipes makes 11 scones by using 2 inch round cutter.
- Brush scones with milk and bake for 15 minutes on second top level of the oven. Top will get slight brown then it’s done. Transfer to cool before serving.
- Serves warm.
Leave me a comment below on what is your favourite British desserts or cookies.