It’s time to bake yourself a Banana Cake if you have banana that over ripe and you need to do something with it. I know you have plenty of time to bake and in the same time you want to eat less sugar daily. Well, this recipes only requires 2 and half tablespoons of brown sugar or white sugar. No more sugar added but you definitely can less sugar if you like, and I can guaranteed you that this cake already taste sweet as it is because of your over ripe banana.
This recipe baked soft Banana Cake that easily crumbles when you cut a slice and it super crunchy on the top. I added extra almond slices in top to make extra crunchy but you definitely can mixed it with the batter or not add at all, its your choice. In my pantry, I have these aluminium foil tray and its about 4.5 inch round and about 3 inch height. This size perfect for family of 2 or 3 but you can double the ingredients to make bigger portions.
- Substitute buttermilk; 30 ml of milk combined with 1 teaspoon of white vinegar or lemon juice.
- Butter needs to be completely room temperature and soft to touch. Or substitute with spread butter works fine as well. But both need to be in room temperature.
- Sugar can add 2 tablespoons instead of 2 + 1/2 tablespoons for healthier version.
- Canola can be substitute with coconut oil.
- If using self-raising flour, skipped baking powder and baking soda.
- Keep in a tight containers and keep refrigerated up to 5 days. Heat before serving.
Banana Cake Recipe
Prep Time: 15 Minutes Bake Time: 50 Minutes Total Time: 1 Hour 5 Minutes Servings: 5
- 80 grams unsalted butter, room temperature
- 85 ml canola oil, 3 oz
- 2 + 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 egg
- 30 ml buttermilk
- 1 + 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Slice of thin banana (optional)
- Almond slices (optional)
- Preheat oven to 175 c and greased 4.5 inch cake pan, set aside.
- In a bowl, mixed dry ingredients together: flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Different bowl and using hand mixer on medium speed, beat butter and brown sugar till fluffy for about 5 minutes. Add canola oil and beat lightly to combine.
- Stir mashed banana using spatula or wooden spoon, and mixed throughly. Add in egg and buttermilk. Mixed wet ingredients smoothly.
- Add in half of the dry ingredients to banana mixture and mix slowly till combined, then add remaining flour and mix until fully combined. Do not over mix and make sure no lumps.
- Pour batter into cake pan and cut a slice of banana and place on top of the cake and sprinkles some almond slices for extra crunchy (both is optional).
- Bake for 50 minutes or till top golden brown or toothpick insert comes out clean.
- Serve warm and can be enjoyed with a scoop of ice cream.