Honeycomb cake is one of Malaysian delight and available all year round. Sometimes I will have it during breakfast or tea break or even any festival of the year. You can baked it or steamed it, but I tried steamed it using rice cooker. I am using 5 inch round aluminium pan easy discarded. As always, I used less sugar in all of my recipes but you can add more if you like more sweet.
This is my first try and surprisingly it taste what I would imagine and as this recipe using lot of sugar, once in a while is okay to enjoy. I have been trying to eat less sugar but I could eat less cakes or desserts. But make sure to drink a lot of water. The reason this cake called Honeycomb because of the finished texture it created, although my first try the honeycomb doesn’t really appear but its okay. Next try!
- Can be steamed or bake at 175 c for 30-40 minutes only using lower heat and the last 10 minutes using both top and bottom oven. But before baked, please let it sit for 3-4 hour.
- Used less sugar than stated or can use the same as you wish.
- Keep in refrigerator up to 4 days in a tight container.
Honeycomb Cake Recipe
Prep Time: 20 Minutes Bake Time: 20 Minutes Total Time: 40 Minutes Serving: 5 Slices
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 water
- 20 grams butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup condensed milk
- 1/2 all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Ready to boil water. Fill boiler saucepan with water till half full or rice cooker and let it heat up to a boil. Greased cake pan and set aside.
- While waiting water to boil, medium heat and place 1/2 cup sugar in smaller saucepan and let it melted like honey colour. Once all sugar melted and in brown colour, slowly add in 1/2 water because it will splash. Keep on mixing the sugar till its become syrup and brown in colour. Then add in 20 grams of butter and mixed till fully dissolve.
- Let the sugar syrup cool completely or can place in the freezer for quick cooling.
- In a separate bowl, mixed together all purpose flour and baking soda.
- In another bowl, beat eggs lightly and add 1/2 cup condensed milk. Whisk till fully combined. Finally add in flour ingredients and mixed till no small lumps.
- Last ingredient, pour in the sugar syrup and mix throughly. Pour the batter cake into greased cake pan and cook for about 20 minutes or until toothpick insert come clean.
- Let cool completely before serving. Can be enjoy with a cup of coffee or tea.